Department of Botany
D.K. College, Mirza
Balen Chandra Das
Designation: Associate Prof. and Head
Qualification: M.Sc., M.Phil
Specialization: Cytogenetics and Plant Breeding
- Teaching; Special Interest in Plant Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Literary interest
- Participation in Training Programme on Plant Tissue culture at TERI, New Delhi
Karuna Kanta Das
Designation : Assistant Professor
Qualification : M.Sc., M.Phil.
Specialization : Angiosperm Taxonomy
- Teaching Learning activity; interest in plant identification(Angiosperm taxonomy), ethnobotany, plant physiology.
- Fifteen years research experience as principal investigator in the field of Eco-taxonomical works (Aquatic angiosperm, mural plants, medicinal plants, plants of economic potential, ethnomedico plants etc) under Minor research project sponsored by UGC.
- Interest in writing articles in magazine and newspaper; writing and publishing books for H.S and degree classes.
- Published research papers.
- Participated in seminar, workshops and various training programme.
- Involved in building up of traditional and virtual herbarium.
Dr. Durlav Narayan Singha
Present position : Assistant Professor
Academic qualification: M. Sc., B.Ed., Ph. D
Subject Specialization: Higher Plant Ecology
Areas of work: Ecology, Exploration and documentation of indigenous uses of plants
Subjects of Teaching: Present – Algae, Gymnosperms, Cytology, Plant Breeding, Embryology, Ecology, Bioinformatics
Social outreach project/ activities:
- Vermiculture and mushroom cultivation for employment generation and income generation.
- Promotion of indigenous uses of different plants.
- Environmental awareness programmes.
- Ex situ conservation of orchids
- Waste management and resource utilization
Professional experience: Teaching – 16 years (From 2000 till date) Research – 10 years, since 2002 till date (concurrently with teaching)
Profile of professional experience:
- Joined as Lecturer in Dakshin Kamrup College, Mirza on 28th October, 2000 till present.
- Worked as Research Fellow in WWF-Traffic Indian Network in N.E India on project entitled “ To conduct audits of Indian stock of Asian Elephant Ivory and Asian One Horned Rhinocerous Horns and Products” under the guidance of Ms. Rajashree Sharma, Research Officer, PCCF, Rehabari, Guwahati for a period of 2 years starting from June 2000.
- Appointed as Observer for NEET Exam, JEE (Main) Examination and AIPMT Examinations in Guwahati City.
Training/Workshop/Conferences Attended: 08
Training/Workshop/Conferences Organized: 07
Seminar Attended: 05
Seminar Organised: 03
Research publications: 03
Books /Book Chapter: 02
Research projects executed: 01
Dr. Gargi Chakravarty
Designation: Associate Prof.
- Qualified in CSIR-UGC NET (Lectureship) in Life Sciences
- Awarded Ph. D in Biotechnology by Gauhati University in 2011.
- Recipient of UGC Research Fellowship in Science for Meritorious students (now called UGC BSR Fellowship in Sciences for Students) and NEC Merit Scholarship during PhD course
- PhD work on: Microbial biopesticide
- Title of Thesis: Pseudomonas fluorescens based management of Bacterial Wilt of Brinjal caused by Ralstonia solanacearum (Smith) Yabuuchi et al.
- No. of Conferences where presented papers (2012-2016): Seven (All National Seminars)
- No. of Published Research Papers in International Journals (Till 2016): Four
- No. of Published Research Papers in Conference Proceedings (Till 2016): Two
- Principal Investigator of UGC Minor Research Project (2015-17) titled: Study of the production of biogas from fruit and vegetable wastes through anaerobic digestion process.
- Chapter in Book (till 2016): One
- Editor of Book (till 2016): One (Conference Proceeding)
Co-curricular and Extension Work
- Acted as Coordinator of UGC sponsored National Seminar titled “Bioprospecting of gene pool: Trends and Prospects in North East India” organized by Dept. of Botany in collaboration with Botanical Society of Assam in 2015 in D.K College.
- Involved in extension work related to science awareness as member of NGO associated with educational promotion
- Acted as speaker in Talks on Environment awareness.
- Life Member of Assam Science Society, Botanical Society of Assam
- Participated in Workshops and Training Programmes in Bioinformatics, Molecular Biology
- Attended Orientation Programme and Refresher Course
Designation: Assistant Professor (Cont.)
Educational Qualification: M.Sc (Botany)
Specialization: Mycology and Plant Pathology
Academic Interest: Interested in doing work in areas concerning Plant diseases.