D.K. College, Mirza
History of the Department of History
The Department of History was introduced at Dakshin Kamrup College, Mirza in the year 1961. The department initially started with a few students and over the years the enrollment of students in the department is increasing. The department teaches under graduate courses prescribed by Gauhati University.
The department also simultaneously conducts career counseling sessions for the students of the department. Today the students are engaged in various jobs.
The department of history conducted the International Conference from 21 – 23 April 2016. The topic of the conference was Rethinking Colonialism and Globalisation- the historical saga of India from the 19th century onwards. Professor Crispin Bates from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland was the keynote lecturer.
Prof. J.K. Kalita
Designation: Associate Professor
Qualification: MA, B Ed
Specialisation: Modern Indian History
- Bhakti Darshan – a book composed in 2014(June)
- Dadhimanthanat Shishu Krishna ek Mahima Kirtan Lekh: An article of several pages published in Golden Jubilee Year ‘Toppodhan’,Pachimdhuli Anchalik Dadhi Manthan Utchav,1914,18 April.
- Guru Ahe Ei Bate– a spiritual poem published in ‘Arghama’,Sri Sri Mattswami Krishnapuri Manab Sewa Sangha,64 th Rampur Conference, Memoir,2014,Feb.
- Ankuranar Agali Patat– a critical analysis on ‘Ankur’-a poetry book composed by Dineswar Kalita 2014,30 July.
- Kristi sanskritir tatparjya Aru Dakshin Kolar Loka Sanskritit Ek Anubhav-a poem article published in GoldenJubilee Souvenir ‘Swarnajyoti’,Sanpara HaroparaHigh School2014,17-18 January.
- Itihash Adhyayat Mahavidyalayat Chhatrar Gurutta– a prose article in Dakhinpat,D.K.College Magazine 2014-2015
- ‘Kanyadan’- a poem in ‘-Prabhati’ Uparhali Pragati Sahitya Sabha Magazine2015.
- ‘Sambardhana’-a poem in Memoir of Jagadananda Choudhury,social worker, Rampur in 2015 (July).
- ‘Charukalar Sadhanat Mor Sahur Deuta’- published in ‘Agraj Bandhan’ published by Jalukbari Xahitya Xabha,2016,Feb.
- Bezbaruar Xahitya Darshan Aru Bhabishyat Prajanma’- prose article in silver Jubilee,Sankar Madhab High School,2016,2-3 January.
- Simantar Aranya Rodan-a poem in Smaranika, DKS Sabha.
- Senehar Gaon Khani More-a critical Analysis on the book composed by Kavi Rohini Kr. Kalita,2014 January.
- “NEG Congress” –held in USTM 2014 (Feb) 4th Sem Hist (M) sts. with HoD, JK Kalita(myself) for 3 days Workshop.
- Dharmar Jakhala ki Najanu Moi’- a spiritual poem published in Rash’-a souvenir, Mirza Anchalik Rashcrira Uttchav,1916.p-56.(Nov)
Life Member, ‘K.M.S Sangha.’
Life Member, ‘Assam Bijnan Jeuti’
Life Member, D.K.Sahitya Mancha
Life Member, A.Sahitya Sabha
Advisor, Registered Pragati Xahitya Xabha.
Dr. Madhuri Saikia
Designation: Assistant Professor
Office: Department of History
Specialisation: History of Modern India
Educational Qualification: MA (Double)
(i) History (ii) Masters in Tourism Management
(iii)Ph.D– Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Title: Colonial Heritage, Urban Development in Guwahati City: a Study in Heritage Resource Management
(iv) Creative Writing in English (IGNOU)
(v) Qualified in International English Language Testing System (IELTS) conducted by British Council.
Academic Interests: Conservation and Management of Cultural Heritage Resources
1) Impacts of climate change and urbanisation-the future of tourism. Published in Women and Environment-Proceedings of the National Seminar 2013; ISBN 978-81-922965-1-7,D.K. College, Mirza
Seminar paper presentations
1) Colonial Tea Garden Bungalows- creating identity and a sense of place in the tea districts of Upper Assam. Presented at the conference of Indian Commonwealth Association at Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati on 17 February, 2017
2) Cultural Heritage Resources-the current challenges and issues. Presented in the coference of Climate Change organized by the department of Environmental Science, Tezpur University, Assam from 23-25 February, 2017.
3) Historic Urban Landscape: A Study of the cultural landscape of the city of Guwahati. Presented at Graduate Research Meet at Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, on 1st November, 2014.
4) Using Tourism for the Sustainable Development of Assam as a Destination. Presented at the National Seminar organised by Department of Zoology, D.K.College, Mirza, in collaboration with Zoological Society of Assam, on March 2013.
5) Impacts of climate change and urbanisation-the future of Tourism. Presented at the National Seminar organised by Women Forum, D.K.College, Mirza, in collaboration with University Women’s, (Graduates) Association of Assam, on March 2013.
Participated in “TE QIP on Human Values and Ethics at Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati held from 21st to 23 January, 2015
Co-ordinator and organiser of the International Conference “ Rethinking Colonialism and Globalisation-the historical saga of India from the 19th century onwards” held between 21- 23 April 2017 at Dakshin Kamrup College, Mirza.
M.A. in Modern Indian History, G.U
M.Phil. in Modern Indian History (with special reference to Colonial Assam), Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
B.A. – a) Modern Indian History and Medieval Indian History
b) Colonial History of Assam and Medieval Assam
c) History of Ancient Civilisation of the World and International Relations
i) Changing Traditions of World History 9th -17th century
ii) Archaeology, Ancient India and Assam through the ages (a part of the History of India)
- Published two chapters in the Text Book (Mod. Indian History) of KKH State Open University, Assam.
- Published an article titled, “Growth and Development of the Tea Industry in Assam during Colonial Rule: A brief Review” in ‘INTROSPECTION’ a book on Social Sciences and Humanities, August 2014, with ISBN-978-93-5104-144-3.
3. Published an article titled, “Organic Farming” in ‘ABHIGNAN’ a compilation of papers, December 2015, with ISBN-978-81-925698-8-8.
- Presented a paper titled, ‘Socio-Demographic Impact of Immigration on Assam during the Colonial Rule’ , in an International Seminar on ‘Rethinking Colonialism and Globalisation,the historical saga of India from the 19th century onwards’ 21-23 April 2016, organised by Dept of History, D.K.College, Mirza, Assam.
- Presented a paper titled, ‘Major Issues of Environmental Degradation in Guwahati and its solution: A brief Analysis’ in a National Seminar on “ Social Issues and the Environment” 31 Jan-1 Feb 2014, organised by Dept of Chemistry & Environmental Studies, D.K.College, Mirza in collaboration with IAPT,RC-17.
- Presented a paper titled, ‘A Historical Narrative of Socio-Economic condition of the Assamese people during the Colonial Rule’ in a National Seminar on “Women & Environment-A iook into the issues, problems & opportunities” 31 Mar-1 April 2013, organised by the Women’s Forum, D.K.College, Mirza in collaboration with UWAA.
- Participated in a workshop on ‘Leave Rules of College Teachers’ 15 March 2014 organised by ACTA, Kamrup B zone in collaboration with K.College Teachers’ Unit at D.K.College, Mirza.
- Participated in a UGC sponsored national workshop on ‘Innovative Teaching Methodology in Higher Education’ 11-12 June 2011, organised by the Dept of Education & Political Science, D.K.College, Mirza in collaboration with Council for Teacher Education, India.
- Participated as a Guest lecturer in a UGC sponsored national workshop for High School teachers’ on ‘Teaching and learning process: Language, literature and social science for high school teachers’ 15-19 June 2011, organised by the Dept of Assamese, D.K.College, Mirza and Palasbari Sahitya Sabha, Mirza.
- Participated in a workshop on ‘Photography’ 10-11 March 2015, organised by Centre for Media Studies, D.K.College, Mirza in collaboration with UB Photos Institute of Photography.
- Guest lecturer in the Dept. of B.Voc. D.K.College.
- Guest lecturer in Centre for Media Studies, D.K.College.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION : M.A, B.ED
AREA OF SPECIALISATION : Modern Indian History
ACADEMIC INTERESTS : Freedom Movement in Assam, Economic History
PAPERS PRESENTED :
- Participated and presented a paper entitled “Bio-resources conservation and tiger project: A
study of Manas Tiger Reserve as a sustainable measure for tiger conservation in Assam” in
the UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Bio-resources of North-East India and Their
Conservation” organized by Department of Zoology, D. K. College, Mirza in collaboration with
Zoological Society of Assam on 22nd and 23rd March, 2013.
- Participated and presented a paper entitled “Women and Economic Environment: A Study
on Gosaihat area of South Kamrup” in the UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Women &
Environment- A look into the issues, problems & opportunities” organized by Women’s Forum,
K. College, Mirza in collaboration with University Women’s (Graduates) Association of
Assam (UWAA) on 31st March and 1st April, 2013.
- Participated and presented a paper entitled “Swadeshi Enterprises of Assam” in the UGC
sponsored National Seminar on “Place of Assam In Indian Society, Culture and Economy”
organized by Dakshin Kamrup Girls’ College, Mirza in collaboration with Palasbari Sahitya
Sabha on 2nd and 3rd July, 2014.
- Participated and presented a paper entitled “Swadeshi Enterprises and Urban Centres of
Assam” in the ICHR sponsored National Seminar on “Understanding Urban History” organized
by Department of History, Gauhati University on 5th and 6th September, 2014.
- Participated and presented a paper entitled “Political Empowerment of Women in Assam
during the Ahom period” in the ICSSR sponsored International Seminar on “Women
Empowerment: Issues and Challenges” organized by Department of Economics, Gossaigaon
College in collaboration with Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), Gossaigaon College on
4th, 5th and 6th February, 2015.
- Participated and presented a paper entitled “Industrial Scenario of Assam in the First Two
Decades of the 20th Century” in the Asom Vidya International Conference and Seminar
organized by Modern Indian Languages and Literary Studies, Gauhati University and North-
East India Network for Academic Discourse (NEINAD) on 26th and 27th February, 2016.
- A Research Paper entitled “Women and Economic Environment: A Study on Gosaihat area of South Kamrup” in the Proceeding Volume entitled “Women & Environment” published by the D. K. College, Mirza with ISBN: 978-81-922965-1-7.
- A Research Paper entitled “Swadeshi Enterprises of Assam” in the Proceeding Volume entitled “Place of Assam in Indian Society, Culture and Economy” edited by Dr. Gajendra Adhikary and Dr. Nara Kanta Adhikary and published by National Seminar Organising Committee, Dakshin Kamrup Girls’ College, Mirza with ISBN: 978-81-202-8766-2.
- A Research Paper entitled “The Swadeshi Movement and Assam” in the Book entitled “Society, Polity and Culture in Assam- An Intellectual Discourse” edited by Phanindra Kalita and Dhanmoni Kalita and published by M. R. Publication, Guwahati with ISBN: 978-93-85229-01-5.
- A Research Paper entitled “The Swadeshi Movement and Emergence of Indigenous Enterprises in Assam” in the “Mezangkari”, Volume- 4, Issue- 1, June, 2015, a Multidisciplinary Biennial Bilingual National Research Journal published by ADKW Publishers with ISSN: 2278-604X.
A Research Paper entitled “Background of Assamese Nationalism in the 19th century” in “Sampriti”, Volume- III, Issue- I, March, 2017, a Double Blind Peer Reviewed National Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences with ISSN: 2454-3837