DAKSHIN KAMRUP COLLEGE, MIRZA
The Women’s Forum at Dakshin Kamrup College Mirza, was formed with the aim of reuniting all the female employees of the college, Teaching and Non-Teaching , inclusive of the girls students of the college.
The formal opening of the Women’s Forum at D.K.College took place on 20th February, 2009.
Hence the importance of sensitising, creating awareness, and motivating women across the society was felt to be of utmost importance.
The mission of the Women’s Forum is to encourage all round development of women and creating awareness on matters of health, and influencing socio economic environment within and outside the college campus. Besides the Women’s Forum aim at making women economically independent.
The mission is illustrated by the following objectives—
- To raise the confidence level and courage amongst the female students because they would be the future guardians of the society.
- Collaborate with the public for promotion of women’s rights and recognition of their achievements.
- Sharing of information and ideas by creating a network with the society.
- For establishing a healthy academic atmosphere in the college organising seminars on a yearly basis.
To make the students and women employees understand the gravity of harassment in any form and creating awareness about the legal aspects of such issues.
Gender Sensitisation Cell
Under the directions of the UGC Module on Recognition and Elimination of Sexual Harassment in Higher Educational Institutions, D.K. College, Mirza, formed the Gender Sensitisation Committee Against Sexual Harassment (GSCASH).
A Journey from 2009:
- 14 September, 2009- A lecture programme was organised on “ Life and Livelihood: Women of Assam at present- Opportunities and Challenges”. Resource person- Dr Archana Sarma
- 17 December, 2009- Lecture Programme on “ Awareness on Women’s Health. Resource person- Dr Jayantimala Chakraborty.
- 29 September, 2010- Lecture programme on “ Sexual Harassment. Resource person- Mrs Sakira Sahin.
- 20-24 December, 2010- UGC 5 days workshop on “ Sensitivity, Awareness and Motivation on Capacity Building of Women Managers in Higher Education. Resource persons- Dr Streamlet Dhakkar, Manju Bora, Indrani Raimedhi, Dr Archana Sarma
- 24 December, 2011- Lecture Programme on “Women’s Personal Hygiene and Awareness on AIDS”. Resource person- Dr Subhasmita Barthakur.
- 7 May, 2012- Street play was staged at Gorgora, the adopted village of D.K.College by the students of the college. The play highlighted on education, family planning, anti social activities, etc.
- 12 January, 2013- Lecture programme on “ Women’s Rights: Its Merits and Demerits”. Resource persons- Dr Ruma Bordoloi and Dr Niva Sarma Thakuria.
- 31 March – 1 April, 2013- National Seminar on “ Women and Environment- A look into the issues, problems and opportunities”. Key note address by Dr Upasana Bora Sinha.
- International Womens Day is celebrated with great fervour throughout the college on 8th of March every year.
- On 2015 the members of the Forum went to the adopted village of the college at Gargara with two lady Doctors of the local Government Dispensary wherin a lecture programme was held on Health and Women.
- On 2016 International Womens’ Day was held centrally at Boko College wherein the members participated.
- International Womens’ Day in the year 2017 was held in the college premises. Students of the college participated in a street play which was attended by even the people from the locality.
Monetary contribution towards “Karunadhara” a Non Governmental Organisation of Assam working for disabled and weak persons of the society is made regularly by the members of the Womens’ Forum.
- Introduce programmes on Food & Nutrition, handicrafts, beauty therapies. To develop overall health benefits, the Women’s Forum also has plans for organising yoga camps, etc.
- Involving local industries for imparting training on cottage industry products, besides introducing vocational training and self generating schemes is also on the agenda.
- Major and Minor Research Projects would be targetted in future.
- There are also plans to sponsor a female student from an economically backward family every year on the basis of merit.